Sunday, January 6, 2008

Memories of Water and Ice


I have been back from my Antarctica trip for almost a week now. First of all, I'm sorry it has taken me so long to acknowledge my return. Second, thank you for all your comments, notes, and well wishes. Knowing you were here to return to was a comfort.

Friends and family ask me what I saw and did. I open my mouth, but am not able to respond. Memories flash like whirlwinds across my mind's eye. I have a hundred answers and so am not able to articulate even one. I can talk for hours or days, but not for just a few minutes. I fear that if I begin to talk about this experience, I might never stop.

Perhaps this is a better place, a better way to unleash, and I have the 18 day cruise aboard the Laurence M Gould to account for. I stepped on the ship wary of spending so many days at sea. I said goodbye to my companions with tears in my eyes. This sentiment hints at the answer to what had the most impact on me during my travels--the people I met. But they deserve more than just an acknowledgment and, though I won't be able to get to them all, I will post profiles and excerpts from our conversations.

I had a wonderful journey, filled with new insights and a great deal of fun. It is sad to be gone from such a wonderful place and the people I met there, but good to be home. I have memories to last a lifetime--and as many pictures.

Again, thanks to you all for your support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to have you back. Thank you for the adventure!

Tom Hunter said...

Katie,
It's just so amazing what you have done. You're a daily inspiration. And I second the motion of Mary Grubbs. Glad to have you back.

dj said...

hello kate, how's the transition back into the real world? pining for the icy wastes of antarctica yet? things here are still very pleasant, especially now that the weather has settled a bit and we have had several visits from several ships which have taken us on cruises around the area.

I'm writing you, to say hi and also to ask if my brother could call you to interview you about a business he is going to start in atlanta, a writer's room kind of thing. he intends to create a space for writers to come to to get away from their homes, kids, tvs, distractions, etc and is looking for people who are writers to speak to about what they would want in that type of place. what say you?

cheers, DJ
Daniel.Jennings@usap.gov